Summer's Over

Summer is almost coming to an end, and yet, I haven't had the chance to go on a summer outing or a relaxing out-of-town vacation. So, I'll just take this time to reminisce about the wonderful memories of summers past.

During my childhood years, my Auntie Juliet, my dad's younger sister, used to take me along with her whenever she had her vacation leave. Those were the days I cherished the most, visiting my dad's hometown where my late grandma lived. I was a little spoiled granddaughter, and whatever I wanted, I usually got with a grin. However, being in the province came with a quirky practice - I always held a garlic in my hand whenever we went out, especially at night, to ward off any "usog" or "bati" from unseen creatures. I was told I was "mabalbon" and prone to such things. The smell of garlic and my nervous, sweaty hands were not enough; we also had to chant "kayo-kayo" or "tabi-tabi po." Despite my fears, I truly loved the provincial life, so different from the hustle and bustle of the city. I would spend hours playing with the soil, attempting to plant leaves, and climbing my favorite chico tree. During my auntie's vacation leave, which usually coincided with their town's fiesta, I had the chance to stay up late, watching as she danced with random guys from the town or visiting guests. It was such a joyous and carefree time.

As I entered my teenage years, my dad often borrowed his boss's van or pick-up truck to take us to nearby provinces like Antipolo for a day of swimming. We would spend countless hours at the pool, from brunch time until late afternoon, completely absorbed in the fun. However, we were clueless about sunblock lotion back then, so we ended up with darker skin and sunburn from staying under the sun for so long. We were "jologs" at that time, but those memories are forever etched in my heart.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment